Saturday, March 6, 2010

Pedro Pan

I’ve been away for so long that I think only my sister (B) will be reading this post, by now I’m sure I have lost my other 4 readers.
I had a good reason to be away, yes I did, I did.
My house caught fire a few months ago, my family and I had to live out of a suite case while my house was repaired.
It all started with a leaky roof, nothing crazy just a drip, drip, no drip, drip.
It was such a small drip, drip, no drip, drip that I wish I had gone to my shed, pulled out my ladder, pulled out my gorilla clue and fixed it myself. Instead, I decided to do something stupid……I called a professional roofer to give me a quote, the first guy I called said he could fix my problem for 3 grand. That seemed kind of high so I decided to get a second qoute, the second quote I got was for 700 bucks. My brain started to work overtime…..3 grand, 700 bucks. I did what anyone else would have done in my shoes, I talked the 700 bucks guy down to 675 and gave him the job.
I should have trusted my gut, my gut who never fails me was telling me this was a bad idea so…….I talked him down another 25 bucks to make my gut feel a little better.
The reason my gut was telling me not to give this guy the job was because he came to my house without a ladder…….A ROOFER CAME TO MY HOUSE TO GIVE ME A QUOTE AND HE DIDN’T HAVE A LADDER!!!! Who does he think he is Peter Pan? In this case Pedro Pan (he was a paisano)
Any semi-intelligent person would have seen this as a huge red flag and told him thanks but no thanks, but how can I turn down this great deal? Not in these difficult times. So, I walked over to my tool shed and gave him my ladder.
Pedro Pan got to work on my roof a couple of days later and burned it down…..what a jerk!
I was at work when this happened, when I got home I had a house full of axe happy firemen breaking down and making huge holes in my walls, trying to break down unlocked doors, poring water all over the fricken place way after the fire had been put out. Don’t get me wrong here, I do appreciate what Firemen do, putting their lives in danger and all that other good stuff they do.
I’ve been home for a month now….there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home……..

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, glad you're back home, see someone else read your post.

El Search

Brian o vretanos said...

Dan:

I'm very, very glad you've got your house back.

And you haven't lost me - I'm happy to accept having your house burnt down as a reasonable excuse for not blogging.

I suppose you got your roof fixed up all right in the end ;-)

Bee said...

You never fail to crack me up! My favorite part was "i talked him down to make my gut feel better"

Jean Knee said...

how did he catch your roof on fire?

strange

Jean Knee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Making money on the internet is easy in the hush-hush world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat seo forum[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses not-so-popular or not-so-known methods to generate an income online.

Rhonda Sloan said...

Holy crap, Dan. Sorry to hear about your house. Did you kill Pedro?!

P.S. Looks like you need word verify now -- two spammers left messages in front of me.

Leeuna said...

Okay, he burned your roof down? Please tell us more. I need to know what NOT to do in case I need to fix my roof. It's good you talked him down to 650!